Related Information
TxA Headquarters at 500 Chicon

The Texas Society of Architects is headquartered in Austin’s burgeoning East Side at 500 Chicon. Our award-winning building is an adaptive reuse of a 1920s oil storage warehouse. Learn about the history of the building, including the most recent renovation, in the articles and timeline below.

Timeline: History Behind the Building
2016

The offices of TxA were renovated to make them a more comfortable home. Working with Lawrence Group and Flynn Construction, with sponsorship from Andersen Windows & Doors, we endeavored to preserve the historic elements of the building while increasing its functionality. The new look of our headquarters was unveiled at an open house in July.

2011

TxA purchases 500 Chicon to be its official headquarters. Jacqui Dodson, AIA and Sabre Commercial are hired by the Society to perform cosmetic interior updates.

2002

Stern and Bucek’s renovation wins a 2002 Texas Society of Architects Design Award.

1999

Design firm FD2S purchased 500 Chicon and worked with Houston-based Stern and Bucek Architects to create an office space suitable to the firm’s needs.

1964-1996

Through the years, 500 Chicon served the needs of various tenants, including the Calhoun Smith Texaco Distributing Company in the 1960s, and the Associated Republicans of Texas in the 1970s.

1923

500 Chicon is built as an oil storage warehouse by the Gulf Refining Company.