Licensed Architect Fingerprinting to be Available at the 2013 Convention
On June 24, 2013, HB 1717 was signed into law. This Texas Legislature house bill adds architects to the list of professions requiring fingerprinting as part of their licensure renewal. The Texas Society of Architects has taken steps to make this transition easier for architects across Texas.
The Texas Board of Architectural Examiners (TBAE) will require all Active-status registration renewals or new applications for registration to be fingerprinted, beginning with renewals or applications submitted on or after January 1, 2014. TBAE has a FAQ about the new rule here, and the Texas Society of Architect's position on this can be found in this blog article. More information and detailed instructions are coming soon from TBAE, and they will be updated on this page.
As architects prepare to join the many professions that already require fingerprinting as a condition of licensure — medicine, law, and engineering among them — we've worked with TBAE to offer architects at our Annual Convention a one-stop opportunity to not only get their year's worth of Continuing Education in one weekend, but a chance to take care of this new fingerprinting requirement as well.
Technicians from the fingerprinting vendor Morpho Trust USA will be onsite in the North Concourse of the Fort Worth Convention Center. To be fingerprinted, architects must make an appointment online beforehand. Appointments will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis. Availability will be limited due to limited time and space .
Please note: This appointment, made through the website of the Texas Board of Architectural Examiners, is completely separate from any official convention event and is not covered in any attendee's convention registration. If attending the convention, please coordinate your fingerprinting with your current schedule.
The steps to schedule an appointment are:
- Go to https://tx.ibtfingerprint.com/
- Choose English or Spanish
- Fill in your first and last name
- Select “Texas Board of Architectural Examiners” from the list of professions and organizations
- Provide your social security number
- When choosing your location, do not enter your zip code. Use the drop down menu in the Regions area to select “SPECIAL PRINT”
- The next part is somewhat tricky: at the bottom, page through to page 8 of 8. At the top you should see "SPECIAL-TX BOARD OF ARCHITECTURE." Then, above that table, there should be a section where you can click "Next Week >>". Click that until you get to November 7 through 13. You will then be able to schedule your fingerprinting session during the convention.
- Please select a time. Please note: You may not necessarily be printed at this time.
- The next screen will ask if you would like to have a copy of your State background check. Please select no — this is not an available option for Special print.
- Enter your complete demographic and payment information. You have the option of paying with a credit card at the time of scheduling or by check or money order the day of fingerprinting.