Preservation Texas Honor Awards
Last November, Preservation Texas announced the winners of its 2013 Honor Awards. The annual competition recognizes outstanding and inspiring accomplishments in historic preservation throughout Texas.
CLARA DRISCOLL AWARD
Cleo Lemonte “Montie” Goodin
Goodin has been instrumental in preserving the Panhandle’s unique and important role in Texas history. As chair of the Armstrong County Museum board, she spearheaded the restoration of the historic Charles Goodnight House, where she grew up. She also served on the historical commission that helped restore the county courthouse. In addition, Goodin developed a video oral history series about Armstrong County, and has led projects to digitize both books about local history and historic area newspapers.
HERITAGE EDUCATION AWARD
2012 Kendall County Sesquicentennial Heritage Passport Tour
Kendall County, Texas
Kendall County celebrated its Sesquicentennial during 2012 with a “Heritage Passport” program commemorating the preservation of 22 historic places and events throughout the county. These community celebrations, sponsored by the Kendall County Historic Commission, promoted historic tourism and drew participants from throughout the region. Over 1,400 “Heritage Passports” were issued to participants and subsequently stamped visa-style at each event throughout the year.
Galveston Preservation Field School
To promote preservation-mindedness in the community, the Galveston Historical Foundation has partnered with the University of Texas at San Antonio College of Architecture in conducting a historic preservation-focused field school in Galveston. The partnership has yielded accomplishments that have gone beyond planning and design theory to constructively impact neighborhoods and urban settings, making them better places to live and work.
MASTER CRAFTSMAN AWARD
Victor Hugo Salas
San Antonio, Texas
Victor Salas is an expert craftsman and historic preservation specialist who has been crafting custom, artistic wood and metal works for more than 40 years. He has worked on thousands of restoration and preservation projects throughout Texas, including projects at San Antonio’s Alamo, Menger Hotel, and Mission San Jose. He has also worked tirelessly as a volunteer educator, inspiring students and professionals with his infectious enthusiasm for historic preservation.
TEXAS MEDIA AWARD
“Buildings of Texas”
Gerald Moorhead, FAIA
“Buildings of Texas” is the first book to document, in its entirety and with expert scholarship, Texas’ architectural heritage from pre-statehood days to the present. It features under-appreciated structures as well as masterworks, and highlights successful conservation and re-use strategies. The book is an invaluable resource for efforts to safeguard our state’s architectural inheritance, and as documentation of the role preservation plays in rejuvenating communities.
“With Respect: Preserving Historic Cemeteries”
Houston Arts and Media
Texas has more than 50,000 historic cemeteries; these face threats from construction, relocation, urban encroachment, livestock, lack of perpetual care, and nature itself. This 20-minute DVD, produced by Houston Arts and Media in partnership with the Texas Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution and with the support from the Texas Historical Commission, encourages new volunteerism and involvement to save our state’s endangered graveyards.
This article is expanded content for the May/June 2014 issue of Texas Architect.
PUBLIC SERVICE AWARD
Rep. Harvey Hilderbran
Kerrville and Austin, Texas
Rep. Hilderbran served as chairman of the Texas House Committee on Culture, Recreation and Tourism from 2003 to 2008, and has shown tremendous dedication to restoring excellence to the Texas park system and state historic sites. During the 80th Legislative Session, he authored a comprehensive funding bill that will provide approximately $91 million in additional funding each year for much needed park repairs and operations.
HISTORIC REHABILITATION AWARDS
Dedrick-Hamilton House (Austin)
McKinney York Architects
The 1892 Dedrick-Hamilton House was the home of early African-American community leaders William and Sarah Dedrick. William’s father, Thomas, was a freed slave and an early property owner in East Austin’s Robertson Hill neighborhood. The home has been re-stored to prominence and has been repurposed as the visitors’ center for the city’s African-American Cultural and Heritage District.
Luby/Shaffer House (San Antonio)
The Luby/Shaffer House was built in 1907, but some time after 1968 it was converted into a multi-family residence and then fell into disrepair. After a careful restoration and modernization emphasizing sustainability — at the request of the owner, every piece of wood was saved and reused — the Neoclassical home is now one of the finest examples of its style in the city; its restoration has dramatically changed the end of the King William Historic District.
Ted Lokey Oil Company (Amarillo)
Charles R. Lynch, Architect
The Ted Lokey Oil Company building has a new life as the offices of Charles R. Lynch, Architect, and Jerry Haning Construction. The project exemplifies creative and adaptive reuse of an abandoned structure in a decaying neighborhood to provide a modern office space along one of the city’s most-trafficked corridors. Developers saved the building from demolition and set an example for revitalizing the neigh-borhood that others are already following.
Our Lady of the Lake University Main Building (San Antonio)
Muñoz & Company (formerly Kell Muñoz Architects)
Our Lady of the Lake’s Main Building was constructed in 1897 and is an example of Chateauesque Revival architecture. In 2008, a fire destroyed its roof and fourth floor and heavily damaged the lower levels. The university restored the landmark, bringing it up to 21st-century academic facility standards while maintaining its historic integrity. Its comple-tion has sparked other plans for neighborhood revitalization.
Comal Country Courthouse (New Braunfels)
Volz & Associates
Designed in the Romanesque Revival style, this building is one of James Riely Gordon’s 12 remaining Texas courthouses. In restoring this 1898 structure to its original configuration, Comal County officials repeatedly opted for accurate restoration over less developed, inexpensive solutions. The County’s good stewardship was reflected in the community’s support and involvement over the course of the project.
Stevens Park Pavilion (Dallas)
This 1934 park pavilion, of stone and mortar construction, had fallen into disrepair largely due to subsidence and erosion of soils along the city’s Coombs Creek. As part of the meticulous restoration project, the pavilion was methodi-cally deconstructed, with its 4,867 native stones stored in a carefully catalogued inventory. It was reassembled on a new, drilled-pier founda-tion further from the edge of the creek.
Mission San Juan de Capistrano (San Antonio)
Ford, Powell & Carson Architects
Mission San Juan is a State Antiquities Landmark, a National Register of Historic Places property, and part of the upcoming San Antonio Missions World Heritage nomination. It also has an active congregation, with many of its parishioners able to trace their lineage back to original mission inhabitants. The recent careful restoration project renewed and transformed the landmark, which once suffered from structural movement and damaged plaster.