Online Registration is Closed
Please register onsite at the Fort Worth Convention Center.
Eldon B. Mahon United States Courthouse - photos by Gerald Moorhead

Eldon B. Mahon United States Courthouse - photos by Gerald Moorhead

Tour L: Eldon B. Mahon United States Courthouse

Category/Track/LUHs

Tours
1.50 HSW
1.50 LUH

Schedule

Thursday, November 7, 2013
4:30 pm - 6:00 pm
Class Code: 40

Room / Location

Grand Lobby / Convention Center First Floor

Pricing

Early: $50.00 Advanced: $50.00 Full: $50.00

Description

Project: Eldon B. Mahon United States Courthouse

Architects: Paul Phillipe Cret, with Architect Wiley G. Clarkson

Supervising Architect: Louis A. Simon, Office of the Supervising Architect, U.S. Treasury Department

Tour Guide: Steven C. Kline, AIA, General Services Administration

This tour will provide information on the General Services Administration’s (GSA) Design Excellence, Historic Buildings, and Art in Architecture/Fine Arts programs while focusing on the historic Eldon B. Mahon U.S. Courthouse located in Downtown Fort Worth.

Constructed in 1933 and dedicated in 1934, the five-story U.S. Courthouse is an impressive structure both in its location and design. “This new federal project gave the city one of the finest examples of the austere Classical Modern style ever built in the United States,” stated Judith Singer Cohen in her book Cowtown Moderne: Art Deco Architecture of Fort Worth, Texas.

Prominent artist Frank Mechau painted the “Taking of Sam Bass,” “Texas Rangers in Camp,” and “Flags over Texas” in oil on canvas panels in the building's fourth-floor courtroom. This artwork was commissioned under the Public Works Administration’s art program that would eventually become GSA’s Art in Architecture Program, which will also be highlighted in the discussion.

GSA’s Public Buildings Service is the landlord of the civilian federal government, with a total inventory of over 345 million sf of workspace for federal employees in 2,000 American communities. This comprises over 1,600 government-owned buildings, or approximately 55 percent of the GSA's total inventory. Of these buildings, more than 400 are historic public buildings that provide 50 million sf of space. The remaining 45 percent is in privately owned leased facilities.

GSA seeks to deliver superior facilities through innovative, economical, and sustainable design strategies that meet tenant agencies’ needs while retaining these culturally significant landmarked buildings. Projects that have been completed for the historic courthouse over the years under the National Historic Preservation Act in consultation with GSA’s preservation partner the Texas Historical Commission (State Historic Preservation Office) will be discussed to gain a better understanding of how this process preserves our cultural heritage.

Historically, and continuing today with GSA’s Design Excellence Program, federal buildings were designed to welcome the visiting public and convey the important role the government played in the daily lives of its citizens. Come to this tour to enjoy, experience, and learn more about the federal programs that continue to shape the architecture and art of your federal buildings.

Note

2 Tickets per registrant limit
20 Seats remaining

TIP: Use your browser's back button to return to the schedule/list you came from.

Sponsors

Thanks to all of the sponsors who are supporting Texas Architects and helping to make this event possible.