7915 FM 1960 West Suite 214
Houston, TX 77070
AIA Chapter: AIA Houston
MARKET SEGMENT: Educational Facilities
OVERVIEW: VLK is looking for a Design Architect to join our ever growing Houston office. The ideal candidate for this position will be well-versed in all phases of design of K-12 schools, with an emphasis on the design of high schools. This position requires creativity and strong organizational skills from a designer who seeks innovative solutions that will exceed client expectations.
• Formulates project approach with design Principal, Project Manager or Project Architect and establish design parameters.
• Creates and develop design concepts using a variety of graphic techniques and media.
• Participates in design strategy sessions and presentations; manages day to day design concept/process consistent with the project's program, budget and time constraints.
• Responds to input and changes to project parameters by developing alternative designs; maintains concept continuity.
• May participate in client meetings and presentations.
• Coordinate with consultants, contractors, fabricators, specification writers and design team members.
• Serve in a mentoring role for junior designers.
• Participate in interview presentations, trade show conventions and general marketing efforts.
• Ability to manage the design process of several concurrent projects.
• Professional Degree in Architecture (B. Arch or M. Arch) from an accredited university
• 10 years of relevant professional experience
• Registered Architect in Texas
• LEED® Accreditation preferred
• Extensive design portfolio of K-12 projects with emphasis on high schools
• Knowledge of current educational trends and how school facilities can respond to them
• Excellent verbal and graphic communication skills
• Proficiency in Revit, AutoCAD, Photoshop, SketchUp required
• Knowledge of building codes
• Must work well in a collaborative environment and have the ability to respond to design needs from multiple project architects, directors and firm principals
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits such as generous medical/dental/vision/life insurance, 401k plan, paid vacation and holidays, and more. Please email your resume to Linsy Grozdanich. No phone calls will be accepted.