The Texas Society of Architects/AIA is the voice for Texas architecture, supporting the creation of safe, beautiful, sustainable environments.
The roots of the Society date back to the 1880s organization known as the Texas State Association of Architects. In 1939, 47 architects paid charter dues and elected the Society’s first officers, officially forming the organization as it exists today. In 1951, the Society received its charter as a component of the American Institute of Architects.
The Texas Society of Architects is governed by a Board of Directors, which consists of officers, elected at-large by the membership, and chapter directors, elected by their respective chapters. Additional members of the board are the public member director, an educator member director, an associate member director, the AIA regional associate director, and the Texas representatives to the AIA Board of Directors — all elected by the membership at-large.
There are currently over 6,500 members in Texas Society of Architects, with the following classifications of membership:
- Architect Members
- Associate Members
- Associate Intern Members
- Academic Members
- Student Members
- Corporate Allied Members
- Emeritus Members
- Partner Members
The following organizations were established by and are related to Texas Society of Architects: