“I’m interested in what architecture is, but I’m way more interested in the power of architecture to do something and make a difference in the world.”
With these words, incoming Texas Society of Architects President Larry Speck, FAIA, concluded the Society’s first-ever PechaKucha night. The event, which took place on October 18 as part of our 73rd Annual Convention and Design Expo, featured a series of diverse, energizing PechaKucha presentations by nine Texas design professionals on what inspires them.
PechaKucha 20×20 is a trademarked presentation style devised by Astrid Klein and Mark Dytham of Tokyo’s Klein Dytham architecture. Presenters show 20 images for 20 seconds each, and talk as the slides advance to produce a fast-paced, engaging statement on a particular topic of interest. This format has caught on and spread to more than 600 cities around the globe.
The full list of 20×20@500 Chicon presenters included:
- Elaine Bradford / Houston Artist
- Michael Ray Charles / Austin Artist
- Brantley Hightower, AIA / San Antonio Architect
- Matthew Johnson / Austin Stone Carver
- Max Levy, FAIA / Dallas Architect
- Michael Malone, AIA / Dallas Architect
- Elizabeth Price, AIA / Brenham Architect
- Larry Speck, FAIA / Austin Architect
- Steven Tomlinson / Austin Playwright
Click on the video above to watch the full presentation by Larry Speck, FAIA. Other presentations in this series will be released soon.